Sunday, January 02, 2011

The year in music

My "Kat's Korner: 2010 in music" just went up. I was freaking out. I had my top ten list more or less before I fell asleep at seven a.m. this morning. I crashed at C.I.'s. And she was having problems. For example? I finished partying at 4:30 and went to the library to work in there. C.I. was in there and at the end of her year-in-review piece. She copies and pastes something about John Halle's petition and then asks, "What just happened?" That pasted. But it also removed all but the opening. She had to rewrite the entire thing. She was pissed. I don't blame her.

(Auto save was on but it did "auto save" right when the copy and paste took place.)

Then Ruth was having problems with her piece in terms of typing it up. She was losing it. Similar to C.I.'s problem. So C.I. said, "Ruth, don't try to type it again, just dictate it to me and I'll type it up. Believe me, I know how frustrating it is to almost be done and lose the whole damn thing."

So around six something, as I was finishing my list, I asked if there'd be any problem with posting it at night? C.I. said that was fine and she was putting Isaiah up last for the morning so he would be the first thing anyone visiting saw. So I grabbed a guest room and crashed there. Woke up. Watched some movies with the gang. At nine o'clock typed up my list and . . .

Stared at the screen.

And lost it.

I had nothing but a list.

Two hours later, C.I. came to check on me and said, "That's it, we're going to get something to eat. I want some nachos and margaritas, come on." I insisted I had to finish the piece and she said it would still be here. So we all went out and ate and talked a little about Third and, on the drive back, I had my opening.

So thank you to everyone for their patience. Thank you to C.I. for being a soundboard (and patient).

Check out the other year-end pieces: Ruth's look at 2010 in radio, Isaiah's The World Today Just Nuts "2010: The Urkel Moment," "2010 in books (Martha & Shirley)" and C.I.'s "2010: The Year of Enough."