Friday, July 29, 2005

Two new reviews today

Okay so I worked and worked and got two CD reviews done. They're up at The Common Ills and you can read them there. I reviewed Carly Simon's Moonlight Serenade and Aimee Mann's The Forgotten Arm. I believe that brings my total of reviews for the month of July to three (add in Carole King's The Living Room Tour). Which has to be a record.

I'm glad everyone that's written enjoyed them. And while it's great to make suggestions about what to review next, I want to point out that I didn't review because Ava and C.I. recommended the CD. They also recommended Digital Ash and I'm Wide Awake It's Morning, both by Bright Eyes. In retrospect, I really wish I had been able to write a review on those two. I liked them. But if I write something, it's because I feel something.

Sometimes, it can take awhile to get into an album. That's something I think we've lost in the "debut week at number . . ." and "on the cover of Rolling Stone to discuss their upcoming album . . ." There's not much chance of a slow build.

Music's become so disposable and while much of the crap deserves to be, it shouldn't all be. But we're seeing the Billboard charts treated like weekend box office.

Aimee Mann's CD came out in May. I have no problem reviewing it this week. I only recently discovered it but even if I'd owned it in May, I'd still review it this week.

A lot of the uninspired music writing results from people trying to be first out of the box with a review. "Nothing is savored really long enough" as Joni Mitchell sang.

Good music demands reflection.

I want to note something Rebecca wrote which Mike really loves and I do as well, it's about The Common Ills. And I want to note that I think Elaine's doing a wonderful job filling in for Rebecca. If you're needing some strong laughs, check out Betty's latest. And I want to note that I think Cedric's doing an amazing job.