Saturday, February 11, 2006

Saturday mornings? Cartoons. Saturday afternoons/evenings/nights? Laura Flanders

. That's the answer to the question. What's the question? Lynda wondered what cartoon character I enjoyed the most. because of amazing bubble gum. I was always jamming gum in my mouth when I was little trying to get the power to climb walls. All I ended up with were cavities (which my mother would complain about after we'd go to the dentist) and sticky, dirty palms (which my father would complain about after I was done playing -- I think his first words to me every evening when he got home were "Go wash your hands!").

But Penelope, for all the attempts to make her a victim, seemed able to get out of the crisis with her own brains and her own skills. After that, (in or out of space). was a favorite, but I go way back with that show and can remember when it became more and more Shaggy and Scooby. By the time they brought on the irritating Scrappy Doo, I was long gone. My favorite episodes were the ones with guest stars probably, like when they had or when they had on. Now when they had and on, that was just pointless to me. Scooby Doo was about solving a mystery and some characters worked, detectives for instance, but when you're bringing on super heroes, maybe it's time to do another episode revolving around .

Lynda mentioned and I'd forgotten that show. I think it aired on ABC. I loved that show. I'd hate to think that the monkeys were harmed in any way (it wasn't a cartoon, it was a show that used real monkeys in the leads) but who knows considering the times? I remember all the shows that Lynda brought up in her e-mails but I also remember a cartoon version of which Lynda doesn't mention. It may have been on after she stopped watching cartoons. I watched cartoons well into my 18th year. On Saturdays, you either helped Mom go grocery shopping or you stayed home and watched your younger brothers and sisters. I was always up for cartoons. I wasn't the best older sister since "breakfast" entailed grabbing several boxes of cereal and carrying them into the living room where I handed them out. I remember one Saturday morning, after partying hard the night before, where my youngest brother pleaded with me for a glass of water and I finally talked him into going out into the front yard and getting a drink from the water hose because I was so not moving from the couch.

So that's Saturdays of yore, for Saturdays of today, let's talk Laura.


RadioNation with Laura Flanders
Saturdays & Sundays, 7-10pm ET on Air America Radio We're fighting the G forces. Like every good Luge racer, we're hurtling through a bumpy world, with scandals coming fast and furious enough to sweep us off the earth. But it's important that we get our feet back on the ground. We'll bring you up to date about how states are changing voting with, among others, PENNY VENETIS who brought the first-in-the-nation suit to challenge the constitutionality of paperless voting machines.And we'll talk to Grammy nominee RODNEY CROWELL about the mysterious art of music marketing and emotional intelligence. As always, you can podcast a one-hour version of last weekend's shows here: http://www.thenation.com
It's all on RadioNation with Laura Flanders this weekend on Air America Radio.

I've got a longer entry on this at The Common Ills, so check that out for more.
And make a point to listen to RadioNation with Laura Flanders either over the traditional airwaves, via XM satellite radio, podcasting or via the online stream.