Wednesday, August 10, 2022

Have You Never Been Mellow and a buried treasure

Olivia Newton-John never got her due, as Julianna Hatfield pointed out.  I noted that a few weeks back when I pointed out that AMAZON's MUSIC (streaming service) didn't have any Best of Olivia album or one of her two Greatest Hits.  Over 20 songs in the top forty pop alone and you couldn't hear most of them.  (They now have a "Rediscover Olivia Newton-John" selection that lasts over 3 hours.  I listened last night as I went to sleep.

Caleb e-mailed saying, "I know it's corny but 'Have You Never Been Mellow' was always my favorite song by her."  That's not corny.  It's a good song and does a great job singing it.  Here's a video.





I think if she'd got the career retrospective she deserved while she was alive, we'd all be less shy about just saying, "It's a great song!"  It's like on FAMILY GUY, when the guys are in the car -- Peter, Joe, Quagmire and Cleveland -- and Barry Manilow giving a concert in town comes up and they all hate Barry, then one says "Mandy" is a good song, then another says that about another song until finally they admit that they love Barry Manilow.  I'm not equating Olivia with Barry (I think she was actually more talented) but even Barry is due for a reappraisal.  (And, yes, "Mandy" is a great song.)



Stockard Channing and Elton John are among the celebrities to pay tribute to the late Olivia Newton-John.

The legendary actress/singer passed away peacefully at her ranch in Southern California on Monday morning following a battle with cancer. She was 73.

Following the sad news, Stockard issued a statement to People in which she remembered her co-star in the 1978 film Grease.

"I don't know if I've known a lovelier human being. Olivia was the essence of summer - her sunniness, her warmth and her grace are what always come to mind when I think of her," she praised. "I will miss her enormously."

In addition, music star Elton expressed his condolences to Olivia's family and loved ones.

"The saddest of news to wake up to. Olivia was a beautiful and courageous woman, who I never heard complain about her illness. A beautiful voice and a warm and loving friend. I will miss her so much," he wrote on Instagram.




Megan wondered if there was a song I'd rate as a buried treasure by Olivia?  I think I've written of this before.  It was a few years back, Wally, Ava, C.I. and I were speaking to a group somewhere and afterwards a guy handed C.I. his guitar.  She played "Borrowed Time."  I had forgotten that song.  That night, I bought it on AMAZON and it's a song I listen to constantly.






That was on TOTALLY HOT but it wasn't a single.  I love the song, I love the performance.  I think if you're looking for one of Olivia's great songs that wasn't a single, that's a good place to start.



Closing with C.I.'s "